Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Gateway International Raceway - Day Five (Part One)

Welcome to St. Louis - Gateway to the West.  As predicted, it was an extremely long day and evening finding us pulling in to the Ramada Inn in East St. Louis at 1:30 am.  We left Tulsa at 7:30 pm and covered the 500 miles in 6 hours.

We are now at the track which is a "roval" - a NASCAR oval combined with an infield road course.  I'll let you guess why it is called Gateway.  I unpacked the car as Brian walked the track.  We slept as late as possible this morning (a total of 4 hours - yawn) which meant splitting duties on driving prep and car prep.   The car is in good order and we are "blending" our fuel with 100 octane and the 91 octane we are finding out on the road.   We are remaining ever vigilant of the tach and short shifting at 6,500 RPM.  It has been working fine and the car remains fast.  We hope it stays that way.

As far as final results from the bracket drag races and what it did to our position, I will hold off as those posted on the One Lap of America website are incorrect.   I can tell you that my Low Elapsed Time (ET) time was 13.904 seconds in the 1/4 mile.  It certainly was not my best effort as I had tire spin and hop at the start.  It was worth a 27th overall.  The trap speed at the finish was 107 mph.

We dialed in my bracket time at 13.19 and I ran a 13.33 which was good enough for a win as the car next to me broke-out.  What does that mean?  It means that he "beat" (was faster than) his dialed in/break-out time.  It means I won by default - a win is a win and it moved us to the next round.  Stay tuned for the final results in our next post.

That's it for now - cheers!

No comments: