Sunday, May 10, 2009

Co-Driver Extraordinaire

What can you say about Woody Hair? He is a wonderful person and another great mentor in the game of life. I am so glad that I was able to complete a One Lap of America with him.

He always keeps a cool head and puts a positive perspective on things. Last Tuesday afternoon when I vented my frustration at the car by chucking a water bottle at it while it sat idle in a garage with no fix in sight, Woody remained calm. He was obviously thinking about what our options were. For a fleeting moment, I was thinking one option was to pack up and head home as we are done. I can say that option never crossed Woody's mind.

Woody's cool temperament calmed me down and we walked through the options together. Borrow Rafael Garces' car and finish the event then drive back to Atlanta to pick up the 335i before returning to Arlington (talk about some road miles)? Drive home and pick up Woody's M Coupe and meet up with the One Lappers in Kershaw, SC? Not once did pulling out of the event come up. We had to finish....for our sponsors, for ZERO, for the tech's at United BMW, for men fighting prostate cancer everywhere, and for Tom Holcomb. We were not going to throw in the towel. Woody made sure I did not think of dropping out again.

Everyone knows the rest of the story! We absolutely made the right decision in every respect to carry on.

I am proud and honored to call Woody a friend and I will never forget the week we spent traveling together. We had our disappointments, but they were all overshadowed by the spirit of the event, the people and friends, the laughs (more than I could ever count), and our own feeling of self accomplishment for having stuck with it. If ever the opportunity arises to have Woody as a One Lap co-driver, you can bet I'll be calling him...hopefully he will join up. In the meantime, it will be more track weekends and occasional beers after work.....oh and that event called the Targa Newfoundland!

Woody.....THANKS!!!!

No comments: